February 10, 2009

My scrappy blues *updated*

Update:
My scrappy blues have now been quilted AND photographed, so I can show it (partly) to you all.

I have stippled it intensely - remember those blue coins are just 4'' x 2'', as I decided to use my last bits of batting, some of them quite small :) So scrappy blues it is:

I like how the coins seem to pop up from the quilt!Quilting around the blue coins resulted in a brilliant effect on the back too:
Now I need to finish the binding and sew it on - that will take some time, be warned!
But overall, I am pretty happy with this one! Yay :o)

---------
25 January 2009:
I finished this Coin Quilt patchwork top yesterday evening. I decided to name it "My scrappy blues".
Naturally, I wanted to tell the wold (= you) about it immediately but I had to wait for daylight to take some photos...
Facts:
* Blue scraps of all kinds, 45 varieties/2 blocks of each
(some of the fabrics are from my very first attempts, back in 1997!)
* Connected with semi-bleached cotton, that I have recently gotten a huge pile of, for FREE *dancing around with joy*. It is slightly heavier than the rest of my stash, but I think it will work out nicely.
* The blocks are 4,5 x 2,5'', including seam allowances.
* The strips are 2,5'' wide.
* Final size, without binding, is 64 x 42'' (162 x 107 cm)
Gosh, I did not realize I had so much blue - and there are still some blues I have not used!

Also, I tried to use up some of my thread rolls, filling up the limited space I have available - 3 small rolls used :) Consider that a tip free to use!

I have dyed some of the cotton into a dusty blue, perhaps that would do for the backing... hmmmm...

8 comments:

Millie said...

Kvinta, the blue coin quilt is just so pretty. Blue is one of my favorite colors. The blue and white blocks are so striking. I am going to add this to my list of quilts I like to make. Just lovely!

Louann said...

I love the quilt. I think stippling would look great. Nice job!

Kerri said...

coin quilts are one of my favorites, and i love all the lovely blue fabrics!! this is going to be so beautiful when finished! i also think that stippling would add so much to it.

Millie said...

Kvinta, thanks for stopping by at my blog. I like to use some of the leftover red and tan "worms" for a Chinese Coin quilt like your blue and white one.

Tracey said...

This is outstandingly (is that even a word?) beautiful!!!! I love it. You make amazing quilts!

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

I really love the blues in this quilt. Simple, clean lines and yet so beautiful. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog, too.

I Love Baby Quilts! said...

Lovely! Next time you need scraps, let me know and I will find the appropriate colors for you somewhere in my five gallon buckets of scraps!

Kerri said...

It turned out so lovely!! Love the effect on the back!